- Acoustics and Noise Control
- Air Quality
- Due Diligence for Mergers and Acquisitions
- Ecology & Biological Sciences
- EHS Compliance & Management Systems
- Energy and Renewables
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment
- Geotechnical Engineering—Soil and Rock Mechanics/Soil, Rock, and Mining Engineering
- Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment
- Information Management
- Managed Aquifer Recharge
- Ore Evaluation Services
- Permitting and Stakeholder Engagement
- Project/Program Management
- Property Development/Redevelopment
- Site Remediation
- Surface Water/Sediments
- Sustainability Assessments/Sustainable Development
Biosecurity response to a foreign fishing vessel wreck in NZ
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
|Client||Northland Regional Council|
|Industries||Water, Resource, Transport|
|Services||Assessment of the extent of biofouling and the coordination and implementation of sample collection and handling.|
Biofouling communities were observed on the hard surfaces of a foreign floating shipwreck. Shellfish, barnacles, algae, crabs, urchins, seastars and fish were representatively sampled, identified and a risk assessment undertaken to determine the level of threat by potentially foreign species to the New Zealand marine environment.
Rapid response coordination and implementation of a representative sampling event. Sample processing was also undertaken and included rough-sorting into key groups before sending away for expert identification. Staff worked in collaboration with MAF Biosecurity New Zealand to undertake the risk assessment and provided recommendations to the client.
While several non-indigenous species were detected in the samples, it was concluded that the threat to the New Zealand marine environment was very low and that as a result, no specific follow-up surveillance would be required.
New Zealand’s marine biodiversity is biologically distinctive and vulnerable to the effects of introduced organisms. ...
Ecology & Biological Sciences
Golder’s global team of bioscience experts conducts assessments of ecological resources to predict and mitigate impacts on...